"It is impossible for a man to be cheated by anyone but himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Causes for cheating in exams:
- 1. Because of several reasons students cannot make required efforts to appear and succeed in the exams. This might be due to faulty educational methods like by-hearting, lack of basic language skills, poor vocabulary, not preparing or following mind maps, flow-charts, practicing diagrams, derivations, equations or problem-solving.
- Owing to irregularity in attending classes due to peer group pressure or interest in extra-curricular habits like cinema going, gambling or attending social network sites. Mostly the lazy, unprepared and incapable students resort to cheating.
- There might be a huge pressure on students to secure for high grades or marks in the exams to fulfill the desires of their parents or educational institutions.
- Owing to heavy burden on students with respect to curriculum or number of school hours there is no enough time available for studying. Some over-enthusiastic or mindless institutions are conducting many exams on a single day. The students cannot prepare that much for and so resort to cheating.
- One more important cause for cheating may be irregular, inefficient, immoral, lethargic teaching staff, can’t able to motivate or acknowledge the students to the required levels.
- Students want to avoid back-logging and think better to complete the test on time in the hopes of getting promoted to higher classes.
- Students try to complete the course as soon as possible.
- Some students think that cheating leads to secure good marks and that in turn increase the chances of getting a job with a good pay.
- Some students might have been habituated to the habit of cheating due to laxity in invigilators or encouragement from educational institutes or parents themselves.
"The first and worst of all frauds is to cheat one's self. All sin is easy after that." - Pearl Bailey
Bad Effects of Cheating:
- Most of the cheaters cannot use the subject in everyday life. So they will lose the basic theme of education. Neither they can mould their attitudes nor they can improve their life styles.
- Cheaters undermine the quality of education, devalue reputation and the degrees. They may become inefficient professionals or officers at the end.
- There will be a long term affect on one’s own career development.
- Cheaters cannot get a good job because they have never attempted to learn the course. They are poor both at language and knowledge so poor opportunities in future.
- Cheaters do not have ability to do their own works, or jobs. So they have to face unemployment.
- Cheating creates irresponsible citizens. They could create a lot of problems for themselves, to the society, and even to their employers.
- Cheaters cannot be creative and always try to imitate others or sometimes falsely claim others work as their own. There is hardly any chance for innovation.
- Cheating at school level is the foundation step for all kinds of cheating in society like back-biting, blaming, blackmailing, bribery, corruption, scams, plagiarism, etc. Ultimately it spoils the good qualities among citizens like integrity, honesty, loyalty, etc, towards their own parents, fellow-beings and the nation itself.
- Cheating creates worthless persons who may turn into eve-teasers, rapists, rowdy-sheeters, goondas, bad politicians, bad officers, bad engineers, bad doctors, drug-habits, smugglers, bookies, terrorists, etc in the society.
"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." - Henry David Thoreau